Job Title - Design Manager
Area/Location - Barnet, United Kingdom
Type of Job - Permanent
Start Date - As Soon As Possible
We are seeking a Design Manager who will work as part of a Team managing the Design Hub, responsible for delivering an Asset Management Programme to the carriageway and footway network, drainage systems, bridge structures and road markings, this includes the innovative Network Recovery Programme (NRP), with the aim of improving the condition of the Boroughs highways infrastructure. Working on behalf of the Council, the team are responsible for design, tender and coordination of all planned maintenance of the Borough's highways in relation to the carriageway and footway network, drainage systems, bridge structures and road markings.
What you'll be doing:
- To lead a Team within the Design Hub in successful delivery of the programme of works.
- To support the Strategic Service Director and the Service Management Team in the delivery of an excellent customer focused service.
- To assist in the management and monitoring of performance including trends and forecasts and where required implement appropriate corrective actions to ensure the service delivers against performance targets.
- Support the leadership, motivation, training and development of the teams and individual staff to maintain an effective workforce capable of producing agreed and measurable outcomes for the service.
- Working with the Operations Manager (Assets) and the Assets Manager to assist with suitable resource assignment to projects to ensure successful project delivery.
- Mentoring and providing guidance to less experienced Engineers, Graduate Engineers and Technicians to ensure project delivery.
- Undertaking and leading scheme feasibility studies, preliminary and detailed design, preparation of tender documents, works/construction inspection, and supervision.
- Commissioning and managing consultants undertaking design and feasibility work, preparing the scheme brief and monitoring consultants' performance.
- Taking a lead role as part of a delivery team on larger complex projects.
- Ensuring designs are carried out in accordance with current design standards taking into account of CDM legislation, whole life costing, value and risk management.
- To coordinate and supervise projects and to assist in obtaining the necessary technical, administrative, and financial approvals in the preparation, supervision and administration of the project and programme.
- To prepare estimates and lead on the administration of contracts and to ensure compliance with contract conditions, contract specifications, financial regulations, standing orders, policy documents and the relevant legislation.
- Arranging the procurement of highway improvement works through competitive tendering.
- To ensure that the contractors are delivering quality services in compliance with specifications, through maintaining adequate records to address non-compliance issues and resulting remedial actions.
- To provide professional, technical support and advice in relation to highways structures to support the delivery of the Council's statutory duties and corporate priorities.
- To liaise and deal courteously and in line with policy with all enquiries from elected Members, members of the public, and stakeholders to deliver service excellence, including the preparation of high quality, factual, letters, technical reports and other documents as required.
- To attend internal and external meetings and represent the service at public and other meetings as directed, always maintaining service excellence and customer care.
- To ensure compliance with all Health & Safety legislation, the application of the CDM Regulations and associated codes of practice, Re and Council policies.
What we're looking for:
- You must be qualified to degree level or equivalent in Civil Engineering or Transportation, with a minimum of 2 years Post-Graduate Experience
- Demonstrable Engineering, Transportation, or equivalent experience at a Senior Engineering level
- Knowledge of highways and transport policies and associated working knowledge of legislation
- Detailed knowledge of relevant standards and contracts including DMRB, British Standards, Eurocodes, MCHW and NEC Contract
- Understanding of the health and safety legislation covering the construction industry, particularly CDM Regulation 2015 and the role of a Principal Designer
- Experience in the inspection, assessment, design and construction of highway structures
- Ensuring designs are carried out in accordance with current design standards taking into account of CDM legislation, whole life costing, value and risk management
- Good skill level and experience of using LinSig and microsimulation software
- Working knowledge of industry modelling guidance and an understanding of calibration and validation techniques
- The ability to set and work to personal deadlines and targets to meet the requirements of programmes of work, to meet clients' needs and to respond to targets set by others.
please click Apply on this advert and ring Zoey on
01923 603376 or email to proceed in applying.