Are you a Senior Design Engineer looking for a new opportunity within the Highways sector?
Then you need to keep reading as this might be the right fit for you!!
We are recruiting for a leading construction consultancy looking to add a Senior Design Engineer to their team!
Job Title - Senior Design Engineer
Area/Location - Barnet
Type of Job - Permanent
Start Date - As Soon As Possible
Salary - £45000
- Developing briefs, feasibility studies and undertakes design and implementation of schemes, projects and programmes for small and medium sized projects as allocated, including drawing using specialist IT Software.
- Design and supervision of projects, preparation of estimates, working drawings and Contract documents for projects of varying complexity, dependent on the post holder's grading.
- Designing specifications and cost estimates, issuing works requisitions, liaising with and supervising contractors and monitoring costs.
- To coordinate and supervise projects and to assist in obtaining the necessary technical, administrative, and financial approvals in the preparation, supervision and administration of the project and programme.
- Obtaining the necessary technical, administrative, and financial approvals and in the preparation, supervision and administration of associated consultants' commissions or contracts.
- Carry out condition surveys and site surveys as directed and to assist with, or carry out the preparation of reports on findings. To assist in the introduction of new methods as necessary to ensure efficient use of resources, including taking an active role in promoting best value.
- Liaising, where appropriate, with other Agencies and Bodies and inter and intra services to co-ordinate projects, attending meetings as necessary including with commercial scheme promoters.
- Be able to assess a variety of existing and proposed highway layouts - including town centre schemes, traffic signals, road safety schemes, route studies, cycle, bus or School initiative schemes.
- Design and manage traffic surveys and public consultations to requisite standards produce detailed drawings to technical standards, prepare accurate complex cost estimates and contract documentation.
- Commissioning and managing consultant engineering undertaking design and feasibility work to prepare scheme brief and monitor consultants' performance as directed by the team leader.
- To assist in the preparation of estimates, the supervision and administration of Contracts and to control any resources allocated ensuring compliance with financial regulations, standing orders and the relevant legislation.
- Drafting of Committee reports, which may cover policy issues and to implement decisions arising from them.
- Preparing letters of varying complexity, dependent on the post holder's grading, including assisting with letters on policy matters, proof of evidence, technical reports, briefs for consultants and other documents of all complexities as may be required.
- To support the Asset Manager and the Service Management Team in the delivery of an excellent customer focused service.
- To liaise and deal courteously and in line with policy with all enquiries from elected Members, members of the public, and stakeholders to deliver service excellence, including the preparation of high quality, factual, letters, technical reports and other documents as required.
- To deliver, at all times, a professional technical service aligned to "the Way We Work" contributing to Re and the Council's wider objectives, responding to customers' needs and the principles of continuous improvement.
- To ensure compliance with all Health & Safety legislation, the application of the CDM Regulations and associated codes of practice, Re and Council policies.
- You must be qualified to degree level or equivalent in Civil Engineering or Transportation, with a minimum of 2 years Post-Graduate Experience
- Demonstrable Engineering, Transportation, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of highways and transport policies and associated working knowledge of legislation
- Detailed knowledge of relevant standards and contracts including DMRB, British Standards, MCHW and NEC Contract
- Able to demonstrate a suitable knowledge of Traffic and Transport Polices and Legislation
- Demonstrate the ability to programme, supervise and monitor a number of projects simultaneously from inception to completion
- Good IT Skills - including the use of Autocad and Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel
- Ensuring designs are carried out in accordance with current design standards taking into account of CDM legislation, whole life costing, value and risk management
- The ability to set and work to personal deadlines and targets to meet the requirements of programmes of work, to meet clients' needs and to respond to targets set by others
- Experience in programme and project management
- Detailed understanding of the design process and interface with multiple disciplines
- Experience in financial and cost management
- Experience of surveying and project cost calculation
- Able to work without close supervision
- Demonstrable customer care skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good budgetary management skills
- Experience of working with consultants and/or contractors
- Confident in dealing with day-to-day performance issues as they arise
- Full driving licence or the ability to travel around the borough on a daily basis
- Managing Complex Engineering Projects
- Member of an appropriate high institution (IHT,IHIE,ICE etc)
- Experience of project management methodology e.g. Prince 2
- Good skill level and experience of using LinSig and microsimulation software
- Working knowledge of basic legislation
- Demonstrate the ability to programme, and monitor a number of projects simultaneously from inception to completion
- Experience of working with consultants/ contractors
What's in it for you - Benefits of working at the company
- 23 days' holiday (rising to 27) with the opportunity to buy extra leave
- The opportunity to take a paid day out of the office, volunteering for our charity partners or a cause of your choice
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks' fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, paternity pay of two weeks…and plenty more
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle - from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
- Access to our Employee Network Groups, which represent every strand of diversity and allow colleagues to connect and learn from each other on an open, inclusive platform
If you like what you have read so far
- you feel this Company matches what you are looking for in a new career venture
- would like a more detailed Job Description or would like to discuss the opportunity on the Senior Design Engineer
please click Apply on this advert and ring Cass on
5192 or email
mcgconstruction.co.uk to proceed in applying.